Chairman Bao is a Shih Tzu. We travel a lot. I drive. He watches. We've logged at least 10,000 miles and he's never once said, Sweetheart, don't you think you should stop and ask someone?

Wednesday, January 19, 2011


If you're reading this blog, you're probably a "dog person".

In other words, you're likely to be agreeable, outgoing and conscientious.

These are the findings from a psychological study that measured the personality traits of 4500 people and then asked them whether they considered themselves to be "dog people" or "cat people".

The five personality traits measured were conscientiousness, extraversion, agreeableness, neuroticism and openness (which meant creative, philosophical or non-traditional)

Dog people scored higher on conscientiousness, agreeableness and extraversion.

Cat people scored higher on neuroticism and openness.

Bao and I are together all the time, so people who don't like dogs tend not to become friendly with me. That's okay. But I do have friends who have cats, and now that I think about it, they are a bit more creative and generally more "unusual" in their attitudes than my dog-owning friends.

Of course, you can't generalize. There are all sorts of people, just as there are all sorts of dogs and -- I suppose -- cats.

But I thought it was interesting.



1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, it is interesting, and there are all sorts of evolutionary reasons for it; dogs and wolves are pack hunters, and the social skills of extroversion and agreeablesness give an advantage in working together, as does conscientiousness -- which is just a fancy word for loyalty, really.

Just so, being open and adaptable plays to the strengths of a solitary hunter like a cat -- you can formulate and execute a plan on the fly, without having to get the whole pack on board.

I think most people (and animals!) can adopt different approaches for different situations: when I'm in a social situation or working with a group, I can be more doggy, but when I'm working alone I lean more on the cat side of my nature. Of course, I have both dogs and cats, so I'm getting the best of both worlds...
- - - - - - -
Jack@PDB
dog beds and more

7:04 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home