Chairman Bao is a Shih Tzu. We travel a lot. I drive. He watches. We've logged at least 10,000 miles and he's never once said, Sweetheart, don't you think you should stop and ask someone?

Saturday, September 11, 2010


Bao and I have been sleeping up a storm every since we got home -- I think the altitude in Aspen affected us both. Or maybe it was all the driving. Or maybe, the combination of travel and altitude. After all, neither of us is as young as we used to be! But then again, who is?
Bao is glad to be back where there are sidewalks, and where the dogs are mostly his size, and on leashes. He is a very conventional, very urban little dog. He likes his little routines, and his creature comforts. When we travel, I always bring a few of his toys along, but I guess there's nothing quite so comforting as sleeping in your own bed ... especially if you're a little dog.
Don't know if I mentioned it, but Bao has been on a raw meat diet for the past few months, and it's working out really well. I buy hormone-free meat for him, and for myself, too. In fact, I try to avoid additives whenever I can, but it's not easy. You can hardly buy anything that isn't full of artificial colors, preservatives and flavorings, these days. Take potato chips. (I love potato chips) All you need to make potato chips are potatoes, oil and salt -- but finding a bag of potato chips that contain only these three ingredients is a real challenge.
What are we doing to ourselves? It's kind of scary, all this artificial, chemical coloring and flavoring. Eating healthy is not only difficult, it's expensive. And it shouldn't be that way. Not for dogs, and not for people, either.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home