Chairman Bao is a Shih Tzu. We travel a lot. I drive. He watches. We've logged at least 10,000 miles and he's never once said, Sweetheart, don't you think you should stop and ask someone?

Wednesday, September 08, 2010

Serendipity

On the way home from Aspen, the road forked and -- as always -- I
zigged when I should have zagged and found myself driving through some
of the most spectacular scenery in the United States.
I was on Highway 163 (I was meant to have stayed on 191) skirting the
western side of Monument Valley. It was overcast and even raining in
places, but even so, I felt as if I was in a John Ford movie. It was
absolutely, breathtakingly magnificent.
Bao was asleep, although he woke up when I stopped to snap this photo.
He got out of the car and sniffed. Then he looked at me as if to say,
Nobody worth a pee has ever been here, so what are you getting so
excited about?
It was raining quite heavily by the time we got to Kayenta, so I
postponed my tour of Monument Valley -- the clouds are amazing, but I
think it's the kind of thing you want to see in the sunshine.
It just stopped raining. This motel has a heated pool. Bao is asleep
next to me. Life is good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home