Chairman Bao is a Shih Tzu. We travel a lot. I drive. He watches. We've logged at least 10,000 miles and he's never once said, Sweetheart, don't you think you should stop and ask someone?

Sunday, August 01, 2010


How truly lucky I am to be able to afford to pay for the veterinary examinations, treatments and medications that Bao has needed during this difficult time!
It must be horrible to have a sick pet and not be able to afford the necessary treatments and medicines. And I can tell you, these things aren't cheap. Again and again, I've found myself thinking about people less fortunate than I am -- and wondering how I might be able to help.
There don't seem to be any charitable organizations dedicated to helping people obtain medical treatment for their pets. (If there are -- and I just haven't been able to find them -- I'd appreciate knowing about them) Since I haven't got any family (besides Bao) I asked my lawyer if I could possibly provide for an organization like this in my will.
But how would such an organization function? How would people apply for assistance? How do you weed out the cheats? These things take time -- and in a medical emergency (and it usually is an emergency) there isn't any time. How could you make something like this work?
If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them. This is sometghing that needs to be done. But I don't know how to do it.

3 Comments:

Blogger Lacy said...

hi and yes u are right, vet care is very costly...my friend just lost her dog yesterday and her bill was around 4000.00...i googled places that help pay for vet care that people cant afford..the site i came up with is http://www.care2.com/c2c/share/detail/300198 hope Bao is well and feeling better..i have been following him for awhile now..use to comment but u never returned the visit and i thought mayb u just wanted to b left alone..anyway hope that site helps u..

b safe,
~rocky~

9:31 PM

 
Blogger Mari Meehan said...

Where the heck have you been? I've been worried sick!

As for your idea, it would probably be more easily started on a local level and let it grow from there. The vet clinics in your area would probably be happy to work with you!

3:30 PM

 
Blogger Mari Meehan said...

Where the heck have you been? I've been worried sick!

As for your idea, it would probably be more easily started on a local level and let it grow from there. The vet clinics in your area would probably be happy to work with you!

3:31 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home