Chairman Bao is a Shih Tzu. We travel a lot. I drive. He watches. We've logged at least 10,000 miles and he's never once said, Sweetheart, don't you think you should stop and ask someone?

Tuesday, December 01, 2009


Watching me taking books off shelves and putting them into boxes has been unsettling for Bao, but the garage sale was the last straw. People walking away with our stuff -- yikes!
There is no way I can fit the papa-san chair into our new place, end of story. But Bao wouldn't let me sell it, either. He hunkered down in it and when someone came close, his lower lip quivered -- just like a little kid, about to cry. So of course, everyone felt sorry for him and said things like, I just wouldn't have the heart to buy his chair!
It's amazing, the way people behave at garage sales. I had some large, painted, ceramic pots that I was selling for $7 each -- they cost six times that much, new. And this woman really, really wanted one of them. But she wanted to buy it for $5 and it was still early, so I said no. She haggled for nearly ten minutes (over $2) and then left -- with many a backward look -- climbing into her brand new Mercedes and driving away. Someone else bought the pot -- for $7 -- half an hour later.
But nobody bought the papa-san chair. Nobody dared. So Bao thinks he's won, but he hasn't. It'a going to the consignment store, next week.

4 Comments:

Blogger BevB said...

I've had the same experience and chose to donate the item to a charity thrift shop rather than accepting an absurd offer. It was a matter of principle...as well as my final attempt at a garage sale.

Bao does NOT look happy about losing his throne... but it is understandable since he is, after all, the chair man.

9:24 AM

 
Blogger Mai Harris said...

Yard Sales aren't good places to sell valueable items. Though I've been tempted at times, I won't sell my crafts at yard sales because I know I'll feel hurt if someone only wants to pay 25 cents for something I hand painted.
You should save things like ceramics for craigslist or something. Even Ebay. You're right - hand crafted ceramics are not cheap.

9:27 PM

 
Blogger GloriaKrys said...

I am crushed that you're moving to Scottsdale! No wonder I didn't see a listing for you in the Learning Curve broshure. I thoroughly enjoyed your classes and will miss seeing you and Bao. Best wishes to you in your new adventure, and I'll keep track of you on your blog.

11:21 AM

 
Blogger bytdl said...

A friend of mine had the same thing happen to her at her garage sale. The guy must have argued with her for half an hour over a $1.00 price difference lol. Anyway, let us know how Bao is doing, he is a darling little thing and feel free to visit me back :)

~Simon Richvelt~

http://www.momentumdrivingschool.com

12:55 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home