Chairman Bao is a Shih Tzu. We travel a lot. I drive. He watches. We've logged at least 10,000 miles and he's never once said, Sweetheart, don't you think you should stop and ask someone?

Friday, January 14, 2011


We've come to Mexico to escape the rats.

Neither of us was sleeping. I'd wake up in the middle of the night and Bao would be sitting up and staring into the darkness, growling softly. I guess he could hear them, or smell them. Or both. And then afterwards, I couldn't get back to sleep.

Bao has never chased anything -- much less attacked anything -- in his entire life. He is indifferent to lizards, and scared of rabbits. Birds puzzle him. And as far as he is concerned, cats do not exist. I cannot imagine him going after a rat, although I can imagine a rat coming after him! That's one of the reasons we've decided to spend the week here at Rocky Point.

The other reason is to give the exterminators a chance to set traps all over the condo, instead of just in the places where Bao can't go. I don't know how many rats there actually are, but even one rat is too many for me.

Bao loves it here, and has made himself comfortable on the banquette, in the sun. And don't you love the glittery little bow the groomer gave him?

2 Comments:

Blogger Albireo said...

About seven years ago, I saw rat droppings in my garage and soon discovered an active nest of 14 of the pests! Didn't want my little doggies anywhere near those rats. My neighbor Jose and I dispatched them all, swiftly and as humanly as possible. Yuk! Haven't seen a rat since then. Have fun in Mexico -- ratas haber desaparecido.

5:53 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The opening line of this post is tremendous, by the way -- for a moment I thought I was reading a lost classic by Hunter S. Thompson; it's got that cadence to it.
- - - - - - -
Jack@PDB
dog beds and more

7:06 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home