Chairman Bao is a Shih Tzu. We travel a lot. I drive. He watches. We've logged at least 10,000 miles and he's never once said, Sweetheart, don't you think you should stop and ask someone?

Tuesday, January 04, 2011


What does a Shih Tzu do when it sees a rat?
Apparently, absolutely nothing.
Living in a brand new, state of the art, fifth floor condominium, I didn't think I had to worry about critters, anymore. Turns out, I was wrong.
When my dishwasher flooded the day before New Years Eve (these things always happen on a holiday weekend) the repairman removed its front plate so we could see underneath and voila! A gnawed-through hose, and rat droppings. I couldn't believe it. Rats? On the fifth floor?
Apparently, they're in the walls. "And once they get in, they climb," said the exterminator. "They didn't just pick your condo. They're on all the floors below you, too."
He set four traps, and we caught a rat that same night. Happy New Year.
Over the past few days, I've learned more about rats than I ever wanted to know. For instance, their teeth never stop growing and that's why they have to keep gnawing on things. I didn't know that. Did you?
Anyway, we haven't caught anything for a couple of days now and I'm sort of hoping it was just the one rat.
And Bao? He couldn't care less.

2 Comments:

Blogger Albireo said...

Oh rats! My little Jack Russell Terriers, Scout and Abby, would have enjoyed a close encounter of the first kind with that pest. Casey the Westie, on the other hand, would have not even noticed. Don't worry about dispatching rat pests. Unfortunately for rats position in the food chain, there are far worse fates than a mouse trap.

6:56 PM

 
Blogger Billy Howliday said...

Glad your back and you're both doing fine ! I guess we are lucky living in the country side, the rats have plenty of fields and woodlands to "destroy" !

11:20 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home