Chairman Bao is a Shih Tzu. We travel a lot. I drive. He watches. We've logged at least 10,000 miles and he's never once said, Sweetheart, don't you think you should stop and ask someone?

Monday, October 29, 2007


There are photographs of Bao everywhere, all over the world. Australia, Canada, Mexico. People are forever asking if they can take his picture -- especially when he's in his stroller -- and I always say yes. Some people don't bother to ask, but most do. I vividly remember a whole tour group of Japanese lined up with their cell phones, 27 of them. It was fun. And of course, I had to supply a photo of Bao to Gina Alexander, who reproduced it on the custom-made tote you see here. (And if you think getting Bao to pose with the tote was easy, think again)

So I suppose it had to happen sooner or later. Even so, it was a bit of a shock to open the Sunday supplement and see Bao staring out at me. The headline said, Take your favorite friend wherever you go! 30 different breeds, beautifully reproduced on lovely totes for $79.98 each, plus shipping and service.

Bao is the Shih Tzu. No, truly. It's definitely Bao. Go onto their website at collectiblestoday.com and look at the coloring of that Shih Tzu's ears. Look at the spacing of the eyes. Look at the face. If that isn't Bao, I'll eat my tote -- it's the same photo, it's the same dog. Isn't it?

The mrchandiser is Ardleigh Elliott and they're situated in Niles, Illinois. Should I contact them (on Bao's behalf, of course) and demand royalties? Or should we just feel flattered?


3 Comments:

Blogger Lacy said...

woofies Bao!!!! me thinkies ur tote iz fantastics...

b safe,
;)lacylulu

2:36 PM

 
Blogger Mari Meehan said...

Feel flattered. Proving it may require a DNA test and how do you get DNA from a tote?? Lol.

3:39 PM

 
Blogger Patience-please said...

I'm a copyright freak, and I think it boils down to who took the photo. If it is your photo, then I would contact the company. If someone else took the photo, then it is theirs to do with whatever they want.

But I can see how Bao would be irresistible!

all the best-
Patience, servant to the whippet waggle

11:49 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home