Chairman Bao is a Shih Tzu. We travel a lot. I drive. He watches. We've logged at least 10,000 miles and he's never once said, Sweetheart, don't you think you should stop and ask someone?

Monday, October 01, 2007


It's a dog's life. Well, it's this dog's life, anyway. Enjoying the September sunshine on the deck in Puerto Penasco.

A funny thing happened in the pool. I was swimming laps, and as usual, Bao was trotting worriedly along the edge of the pool, following me up and down. Suddenly, an attractive young woman called to me. Excuse me, she said. But is your dentist Dr. Allen?

I'd taken my glasses off, so I couldn't really see her. And although this struck me as rather an extraordinary question to be asked in the middle of a swimming pool in Puerto Penasco, strangely enough, Dr. Allen is my dentist. So I said, Yes.

I knew it! said the attractive young woman. I recognized your dog! He's got such a wonderful little face. I'd know him anywhere!

Turns out, she's Dr. Allen's dental hygienist, or whatever they call the person who wields the little plastic tube that sucks the water out of your mouth while the dentist is drilling. She's spent many an hour staring into my open mouth (which is probably why she didn't recognize me with my mouth shut) But this happens lots of times. I'm apparently quite forgettable. But everybody remembers Bao.

As I say, it's a dog's life.

2 Comments:

Blogger Betty said...

It is truly a small world, isn't it?

1:32 PM

 
Blogger Lacy said...

woofies bao!!! nice to meets u..ur iz a cutie...

b safe,
;)lacylulu

5:48 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home