Chairman Bao is a Shih Tzu. We travel a lot. I drive. He watches. We've logged at least 10,000 miles and he's never once said, Sweetheart, don't you think you should stop and ask someone?

Friday, September 28, 2007


A beautiful, Mexican sunset.

Rather an exciting drive, however. Military check-points all along the road. Blockades, armed soldiers, the whole enchilada. I was able to ask, Que pasa? (What's going on) But my Spanish wasn't good enough to enable me to understand the answer. And then, when we got to the road that leads into Sandy Beach -- and my condo -- the road was closed. Traffic was being directed down the unpaved roads to the right and left.

Yikes. We're not used to unpaved roads, me and Chairman Bao. We bumped along through the sand and dust. I didn't have a foggy clue where we were going, but I know that Puerto Penasco is laid out in a grid, and that sooner or later, the odds were we'd come to a paved crossroad. It turned out to be later, rather than sooner. And then the paving ended again, and we were back in the sand and dust. But I could see the condos in the distance. We were definitely getting closer. We came to a crossroad and suddenly, I knew where I was. Whew!

Turns out, there's a Governors' Border Conference here this weekend. Governors from California, Arizona, New Mexico and Texas are meeting with the President of Mexico to discuss border issues. Security precautions include an armed destroyer cruising offshore. I didn't even know Mexico had a navy. The Conference is being held at a resort further down the beach, but who knows? Maybe we'll run into Arnold Shwartznager during our morning walk. Stranger things have happened.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home