Chairman Bao is a Shih Tzu. We travel a lot. I drive. He watches. We've logged at least 10,000 miles and he's never once said, Sweetheart, don't you think you should stop and ask someone?

Wednesday, October 10, 2007


Bao groomed and ready for the Battle of the Heartworm Pill.

I admit defeat. I cannot get these things down him. He knows exactly what they are, and he hates them as only a Shih Tzu can. I've tried concealing pieces of them in meatballs, but he'll eat the meatball and spit out the medication. Ditto peanut butter. If I break them up and try to force the bits down his throat, he sits quietly until I think he's swallowed, and then triumphantly spits it all out. Yes, triumphantly. He gets that look on his face.
If I crumble them up and put them in ice cream or yoghurt or chocolate pudding (all of which he loves) he wants no part of it. He knows. And, true confessions. I'm nervous about shoving things down his throat, because I'm afraid he might choke.

Ginny (Bao's groomer) offered to administer the medication herself. I was dubious. Ginny is pretty formidable (she breeds and shows dogs and horses) but Bao can be very stubborn.

He's got your number and he knows it, said Ginny. Let me try.

I was afraid Bao was going to take her hand off in the process, but she finally did get the heartworm medicine down his throat. And it stayed down. Bao was not impressed, but I certainly was. Ginny has offered to do this for us, every month. Thank goodness!

Does anyone else's dog hate heartworm pills?


3 Comments:

Blogger Lacy said...

hi bao's mom, we always stick lacylulu's pills in a bite of hotdog, she luvs those things...but dont tell her...heehee..

b safe,
;)lacylulu's mama

8:36 PM

 
Blogger Betty said...

Oh, the indignity Bao is subjected to! I'll bet he can put up a pretty good fight.

1:42 PM

 
Blogger Mari Meehan said...

Just break it up and stir it in his regular food. He'll never know.

2:24 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home