Chairman Bao is a Shih Tzu. We travel a lot. I drive. He watches. We've logged at least 10,000 miles and he's never once said, Sweetheart, don't you think you should stop and ask someone?

Friday, June 03, 2011

Bao is gone.
He did well in the surgery, and when I left him, was recovering nicely. They called me at ten thirty last night, to let me know that he was having some difficulty. But it was nothing they couldn't handle. Things settled down. But shortly past midnight, his heart stopped. It was very sudden. They tried to revive him, but couldn't. By the time I got there, he was gone.
I can still feel him, somehow near to me. I cannot believe he's gone. I held him, afterwards. His dear little body was still warm. He might have been asleep.
What can I say? He was my dear companion. I loved him. I love him. And now he's gone. It doesn't seem possible. How can I go on without him?
Bao is gone.
It's over.

11 Comments:

Blogger Mari Meehan said...

It's never over. He'll always be a part of your fabric. You loved him more than most humans can love an animal and he loved you the same. Trust your old friend, that kind of bond has no finality.

12:30 PM

 
Blogger Betty said...

I am so sorry. There's nothing I can say that will help, I know. But, know that I'm thinking of you and remembering sweet little Bao.

1:25 PM

 
Blogger Albireo said...

A quote from playwright Eugene O'Neill's timeless elegy to his dog Blemie, written in the 1940s as if Blemie wrote it: "I ask my Master and my Mistress to remember me always, but not to grieve for me too long. In my life I have tried to be a comfort to them in time of sorrow, and a reason for added joy in their happiness. It is painful for me to think that even in death I should cause them pain." With love from Casey the Westie and Scout & Abby the Jack Russell Terriers (and in memory of Duncan the Westie).

5:42 PM

 
Blogger Lacy said...

sad woofs, i am sooo sorry..that little pup was your life..sounds so much like what happened to our Lacylulu..she had a hemotoma, made it thru surgery, but her heart just gave out...your in my thoughts n prayers..RIP little Bao, run with the wind..

a sad,
rocky and jodee
bear and mama....

7:14 PM

 
Blogger Albireo said...

Read the complete O'Neill elegy here http://www.eoneill.com/texts/blemie/contents.htm

10:05 PM

 
Blogger Molly the Airedale said...

Our hearts are breaking for you. We are so very, very sorry for your loss.

Love ya lots
Maggie and Mitch

1:51 AM

 
Blogger Funamals said...

I am so sorry to hear this. I can imagine the difficulty you are going through. I have a bishon that I have had since I was eleven years old and I am now 25. I still love him dearly and go home to my parent's to see him. I do custom pet portraits. If you would like a portrait of Bao let me know.

-Amy

9:26 AM

 
Blogger Albireo said...

Hi Gail: Your Monday, June 26, 2006, blog mentions that Bao sired a litter in Australia. Is there any chance you can acquire a puppy in his bloodline?

9:43 PM

 
Blogger Albireo said...

Gail: Wondering how things are going with you. Love your book "Sea Changes"--phenomenal story that touched me deeply. Please reply.

10:38 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

4:57 PM

 
Blogger Albireo said...

Gail: So happy to read that you have taken Eugene O'Neill's dog's recommendation to get another dog companion: http://www.eoneill.com/texts/blemie/contents.htm I very much want to learn more about "Help Your Dog Reincarnate".

10:05 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home