Chairman Bao is a Shih Tzu. We travel a lot. I drive. He watches. We've logged at least 10,000 miles and he's never once said, Sweetheart, don't you think you should stop and ask someone?

Sunday, September 14, 2008


On the eve of the Republican convention, Bao and I waited all night for the telephone call that never came.

Somehow, Bao had got it into his mind that John McCain would choose him for Vice President. I told him he was being silly. John McCain doesn't even like dogs. Also, I told him, I don't think Americans are ready to elect a dog as Vice President. After all, I explained, the Vice President is a heartbeat away from the Presidency. Like Dick Cheney.

Bao remained optimistic right to the end. It's his nature to be optimistic. He's a Shih Tzu.

Besides, Americans are ready for a change. Barack Obama says so. And a Shih Tzu Vice President would certainly represent a change.

For a start, we'd upstage the Swiss. That's gotta be worth something.

And would it really be so bad? Sitting for an hour or so with Bao each day might do our next President some good. To spend an hour each morning staring into those big, brown eyes that seek and give nothing except unconditional love would be like starting each day with a meditation. Better than jogging, and less strenuous. Meditating doesn't give you shin splints.

Moreover, Bao's reputation is spotless, impeccable. He doesn't shoot wolves from airplanes. He doesn't shoot his fellow hunters. He doesn't shoot things, period. He's never put a foot wrong, and he's got four of them. That's more than you can say for any of the current candidates.

Meanwhile, what do I do with the 50,000 Bao for Vice President T-shirts he ordered?

4 Comments:

Blogger Mari Meehan said...

Wasn't he born in Australia? Sorry. Not eligible.

2:53 PM

 
Blogger Betty said...

He'd have my vote.

9:33 PM

 
Blogger Sylvia K said...

Thank you for your comment about your son on my blog. I can only imagine your pain and it broke my heart. It is one of the reasons I was so passionate about the work that we did because I saw first hand what so many people went through. Thank you again for sharing that. And I love Chairman Bao!

3:12 PM

 
Blogger clairz said...

I just found my way to your blog from Sylvia's The View From Over the Hill. I've only read one post so far, but I think I'm in for a real treat here!

3:34 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home