Chairman Bao is a Shih Tzu. We travel a lot. I drive. He watches. We've logged at least 10,000 miles and he's never once said, Sweetheart, don't you think you should stop and ask someone?

Thursday, September 04, 2008


Faithful followers of this blog will recall the Sunday I fell on my face in Petaluma. Several stitches in my chin, and a sore knee, but it could have been worse. Turns out, it was. I knocked a molar loose, and it is apparently beyond redemption or repair and now it has to come out. Tomorrow. Under anesthetic. Twilight sleep, they call it. I'm terrified.

I mean, suppose I don't wake up? What happens to Bao? I'm all he has. He's all I have. We're a team. We need each other. We love each other.

His Aunty Char and Uncle Bill will take care of him if the unthinkable happens. So we're not looking at animal shelters and euthanasia and thank God for that. But how will he cope? Dogs grieve, just like people. And you can't explain it, to a dog. You can't say, Your Mommy has gone to Heaven. Or crossed the Rainbow Bridge. Or whatever. Dogs don't understand. All they understand is that you've gone away and you haven't come back. And they don't understand that at all.

Bao knows something is up. He's staying very close. And I'm being silly, I know. It'll be okay.

But thank you for letting me share.

4 Comments:

Blogger Mari Meehan said...

C'mon Gail! Get a grip! It's a broken tooth! Lol!

4:39 PM

 
Blogger Betty said...

You're probably going to be glad to have someone's hand in your mouth. I had Twilight Sleep when I gave birth the first time, and blabbed all my secrets. It feels kind of like you're floating. And, you think you're awake, but you really can't remember a thing when you do wake up.

Bao will still have his mommy. Don't worry. Good luck, anyway.

5:24 PM

 
Blogger Albireo said...

You'll be fine!

Keep your thoughts focused on your next fact-finding mission with the Honorable Chairman Bao.

9:11 PM

 
Blogger Billy Howliday said...

By now you will probably be back home with Bao not wanting to leave you alone even for 1 seconde !! Get well soon so Bao can take you on new adventures soon !

Chris & Miss Poppy & Lily

9:59 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home