Chairman Bao is a Shih Tzu. We travel a lot. I drive. He watches. We've logged at least 10,000 miles and he's never once said, Sweetheart, don't you think you should stop and ask someone?

Friday, February 20, 2009


I used to be quite smug about cooking Bao's dinner every night. Chicken breast or beef, grilled. Only the best for my precious treasure. (That's what Bao means, in Chinese. Precious Treasure. But you knew that, didn't you?)

No additives. No preservatives. No chemicals. Fresh, wholesome food. At least, that's what I thought.

I was wrong. Bao may be a carnivore, but he's as corny as Kansas in August. And so am I. So are you. So is just about everybody in the United States. Our main food -- dogs and humans -- is corn. We eat more corn than Mexicans. We eat more corn than anybody.

Australian beef cattle consume grass, but American beef cattle are fed corn. Problem is, cattle aren't meant to eat corn. It makes them sick, which means that lovely, marbled hunk of corn-fed beef I fed Bao last night probably came from a sick animal.

Chicken isn't much better. We feed chickens corn, but we also feed them the ground up bits of beef cattle. Sick animals, again. And apparently, I've been wasting my money on organic beef, and chicken. Organic doesn't mean free grazing. It just means, no hormones.

So I am a corn-fed person with a corn-fed dog, even though my dog is a carnivore. Not nearly as healthy and as wholesome as I thought.



2 Comments:

Blogger Julie Wilson said...

Dear Gail,

I have just finished 'A Year in Hell' and was wondering if you are the author? I don't want to intrude but I would like to know how Jim is. I am sorry that we in Australia let you all down - what an horrific experience for you. I hope life is better for you now.

Regards, Julie Wilson.

2:47 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Hello Julie,
Yes, I'm the author.
Jim passed away in 2003, just weeks before he was meant to join me here in the United States.
My novel "Sea Changes" is being published in May. You can learn more about it at www.gailgraham.net
Yes, life is better now that I'm back in the United States.

8:57 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home