Chairman Bao is a Shih Tzu. We travel a lot. I drive. He watches. We've logged at least 10,000 miles and he's never once said, Sweetheart, don't you think you should stop and ask someone?

Wednesday, December 31, 2008


When we left Tucson, it was cloudy and 42 F. When we arrived here in Puerto Penasco four hours later, it was sunny and 72 F. Bao hopped out of the car and looked at me with pure wonder as if to say, Wow! How did you do that?

I suspect that Bao thinks I'm a lot more powerful than I really am. After all, I'm the source of food and water and heat and air conditioning, not to mention walks, toys and rides in the car. This makes me a very important member of Bao's pack. But my "powers" notwithstanding, I think Bao still considers himself pack leader.

This used to worry me because I felt I was somehow letting him down. And during the past year I worked very hard to develop the "calm, assertive energy" that is the hallmark of a true, pack leader. Alas! My style has always been: When in danger or in doubt/Run in circles, scream and shout -- and do you know how old I am in dog years? Too old to change.

So here we are. The sun is shining, the pool is heated, the hot spa is bubbling and there's a school of dolphins cavorting just beyond the reef.

Happy New Year!



2 Comments:

Blogger Par said...

Pearly and I wish your family, friends and you a sweet 2009!

8:13 PM

 
Blogger Billy Howliday said...

We would like to wish you both the best for 2009 and would like to admit that we are a little bit jealous, we are having a cold spell with temperatures dropping to 18°F ...

10:35 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home