Chairman Bao is a Shih Tzu. We travel a lot. I drive. He watches. We've logged at least 10,000 miles and he's never once said, Sweetheart, don't you think you should stop and ask someone?

Sunday, November 09, 2008


Beignets and champagne this morning, on the balcony of our Mexican condo overlooking the Sea of Cortez.

I bought the beignet mix in New Orleans, several years ago. And then I forgot about it and it worked its way to the back of the shelf where it remained until I found it last week when I was cleaning.

I thought beignets were hard to make, but they're not. (Well, not if you use a mix) Just add water, roll out the dough, cut into squares and fry until puffy. And Bao loves beignets. He especially loves licking the leftover powdered sugar off my fingers.

The really big news is that Bao's attitude towards the beach has been totally transformed. He's not afraid of the ocean, anymore. In fact he can hardly wait to get out there, and goes charging ahead of me down the steps, prancing happily out onto the sand. I have to run to keep up with him. This trip, we've walked on the beach every morning and afternoon, nice long walks down at the water's edge. I no longer have to coax and plead and -- best of all -- I don't have to carry him through the tidal pools. Ever since he met Benji, Bao has been a changed dog, as far as the beach is concerned.

Mind you, he still likes the pool. Here he is on his deck chair, the Prince of Sonoran Spa, basking in the warm sun. He loves it here. We both love it here.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mari Meehan said...

He is indeed looking very royal!

2:58 PM

 
Blogger Chow Chow said...

Chairman Bao is such a cutie. Many dogs would love to live it up like him!

6:29 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home