Chairman Bao is a Shih Tzu. We travel a lot. I drive. He watches. We've logged at least 10,000 miles and he's never once said, Sweetheart, don't you think you should stop and ask someone?

Saturday, May 03, 2008


We're in Mexico, and Bao is boning up on his Spanish. By osmosis.

This isn't as silly as it sounds. I mean, what about people who buy books by Stephen Hawking and leave them (unread) on the coffee table? I asked one of them, Did you really understand all that stuff? Absolutely, he replied. But I'd seen the book, and it had never been opened. It was still sealed in plastic.

I do a lot of reading when I'm down here. I actually catch up on my reading. There is no reason why I can't read at home. I am -- technically -- retired. Of course, I'm still teaching, and writing books. (And now, searching for an agent) And secretary of my HOA, and painting the walls of my house, and starting a little publishing company, and learning to speak Spanish. The only time I "give myself permission" to curl up with a good book is in bed, at night.

And of course, here.

Isn't that weird?

2 Comments:

Blogger Mari Meehan said...

What happened to your last agent?

1:05 PM

 
Blogger Billy Howliday said...

This seems to be a global problem, people who are retired seem to have no time for those fun things, like reading a book ! I am not retired yet, but promised myself that things will be different when I'll be there .. Let wait and see ! - Chris / Belgium

9:45 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home