Chairman Bao is a Shih Tzu. We travel a lot. I drive. He watches. We've logged at least 10,000 miles and he's never once said, Sweetheart, don't you think you should stop and ask someone?

Monday, March 24, 2008


Easter Dinner at the home of artist Russell Rechhion and his wife Laura. They served ham, with a Martha Stewart glaze that was simply divine. Bao had just one question: Where has ham been all my life?

He's had bacon. He's had pork. He's even had pork sausages. But this was the first time he ever tasted ham.

I suppose it's because it would never occur to me to cook a ham, just for the two of us. Hams are big. If I impulsively decided to bake one, I'd be eating it for the foreseeable future. Which would be just fine, as far as Bao is concerned.

I haven't seen him enjoy anything this much since he discovered hollandaise sauce on the Eggs Benedict we had for brunch in Wisconsin, two years ago!

I usually boast (modestly) that Bao isn't one of those dogs who'd eat himself to death. Bao, I say proudly, always knows when he's had enough.

But this time, I wasn't so sure. I think he ate more than I did. More ham, anyhow. He ate until he looked as if he'd swallowed a cantaloupe. Finally, he curled up and fell asleep at my feet. But only until Laura brought out the apple pie. And then suddenly, there he was again -- up on the chair and ready for action.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home