Chairman Bao is a Shih Tzu. We travel a lot. I drive. He watches. We've logged at least 10,000 miles and he's never once said, Sweetheart, don't you think you should stop and ask someone?

Friday, February 15, 2008


A couple of weeks ago, Marlene told Bao the next time we came to Mexico, she'd have a nice, juicy steak bone for him. Appreciatively, Bao wagged his tail. He understands! said Marlene.
So last night we arrived in Mexico. I knew Marlene was coming over, and I knew she'd bring a couple of steaks for the barbecue. But I wanted Bao to have a proper dinner, first. So an hour before Marlene arrived, I cooked up his favorite chicken breast and spaghetti combo. I figured the steak bone could be his dessert, but Bao had other ideas.
He literally turned his back on his dinner. He looked at it, looked at me, and curled up and went to sleep. It was as if he knew that if he hung out long enough, he'd get steak. But how could he know? Marlene lives in the same complex, but in a different building. I know a dog's sense of smell is 70,000 times greater than ours, but even so -- even if Bao could actually smell the steak in Marlene's refrigerator (and assuming he knew that it was Marlene's refrigerator), how could he have possibly known she was going to bring it here? And he knew, no doubt about that. Bao doesn't mess around where food is concerned.
Suggestions, anyone?

1 Comments:

Blogger Billy Howliday said...

You'll just have to accept that we are far more clever than you humans !! (says a fellow shih tzu from Belgium)

9:56 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home