Chairman Bao is a Shih Tzu. We travel a lot. I drive. He watches. We've logged at least 10,000 miles and he's never once said, Sweetheart, don't you think you should stop and ask someone?

Monday, May 19, 2008


Bao beside the pool of our Mexican hideaway, guarding my knock off crocs.

It's one of those very big, resort pools -- S-shaped, with a couple of little wooden bridges over it. There are actually two pools, which look as if they're connected, but they're not. Instead of swimming boring, monotonous laps, I can circumnavigate the larger pool, which is the equivalent of twenty laps. I really like this as I get a good workout without being continually reminded that I am no longer physically capable of executing a decent tumble turn without damn near drowning myself in the process.

As far as Bao is concerned, I'm swimming in a dangerous ogre's water dish. Why am I doing this? He hasn't a clue. But he is determined to protect me from my human foibles, and so he trots dutifully around the perimeter of the pool, watching me and looking worried. This is a long trot in the hot sun for a little dog.

I'd be a lot happier if he just sat quietly on a deck chair in the shade, and I've been trying to encourage him to do this, without much success. I guess he figures that if I'm going to swim in an ogre's water dish, it's his job to protect me. Wouldn't I love to know what really goes through that mind!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home