Chairman Bao is a Shih Tzu. We travel a lot. I drive. He watches. We've logged at least 10,000 miles and he's never once said, Sweetheart, don't you think you should stop and ask someone?

Wednesday, December 12, 2007


Winter has definitely arrived. The sky is grey, and sporadic bursts of icy rain are pattering against the skylights. A thick mist presses against the windows, and I'll bet there's snow on the mountains. Bao is sleeping, stubbornly.

His body language is unmistakable. No, he is saying. I will not get up and go out for a walk in the wet and the cold. If you want to go out and pee, go right ahead.

True confessions. I didn't want to get out of bed either, this morning. It is cold. (Well, cold by southern Arizona standards) And wet. But it could be worse, I tell Bao. We could be in Oklahoma. Or Alaska. And besides, there's a drought. We need the rain. We almost always need the rain here in Tucson.

The rain stops. Bao opens one eye.

Come on, I say. It's only rain. We're not made of sugar. We won't melt.

No way. He's gone back to sleep.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home