Chairman Bao is a Shih Tzu. We travel a lot. I drive. He watches. We've logged at least 10,000 miles and he's never once said, Sweetheart, don't you think you should stop and ask someone?

Friday, June 20, 2008


Bao on the beach. He's got a new trick -- he barks at the waves, and they recede. Of course, it only works when the tide is going out, but he doesn't know that, yet.

I was awake before dawn this morning, and when I went out on my balcony a full moon hung low in the night sky, shining down on the sea and creating a silvery path of light that seemed to lead to some magical place across the water. Just above the moon, there was a pulsating spot of light and at first I thought it was a UFO. Actually, it was a star.

I stood there with the cool, morning breeze on my face, wishing I had someone to share this moment with. Bao was still asleep. He's a wonderful companion, but landscapes and vistas leave him cold.

Even so, when I brought my coffee and croissants back to bed (we always have breakfast in bed) I told him about the moon, shining upon the quiet sea. It was so beautiful, I said. You really don't know what you're missing.

Bao looked at me, thumped his tail twice, licked his balls and went back to sleep.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home