Chairman Bao is a Shih Tzu. We travel a lot. I drive. He watches. We've logged at least 10,000 miles and he's never once said, Sweetheart, don't you think you should stop and ask someone?

Saturday, July 28, 2007




This is where we didn't have lunch, yesterday. (They're only open for dinner) But at least we had a look. It's sort of a cross between a Christmas Tree and the top of a gigantic ladies' floral hat. Everything is pink. Huge roses. Cupids. Twinkling lights. It's the Madonna Inn, at San Luis Obispo. We ended up having lunch in the coffee shop, which was no slouch. In fact, they served up the best steak salad I've had anywhere. And the house Cabernet Sauvignon was so nice that I bought a bottle to take home.


We stayed at the Best Western. Actually, I think they should call it the worst Western. Nothing worked, including the internet. And I don't think I've ever encountered anyone with fewer people skills than "Jennifer" (no surname -- none of these people ever have surnames) at the front desk, who advised me that I shouldn't complain, because lots of people weren't able to log on. But, hey! This room cost $209 per night. Yup. In not particularly beautiful, not-downtown San Luis Obispo. Ah! the viscissitudes of travel.


Nest time, we'll stay at the Madonna Inn.


We spent most of today driving to San Diego. 319 miles. Six and a half hours. If you ask me, Los Angeles is a hairsbreadth away from total gridlock. One day soon, one innocent little car is going to tootle merrily down an on-ramp and onto one of the freeways and wham! everybody will be stuck there, forever. When it happens, remember. You read it here first.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home