Chairman Bao is a Shih Tzu. We travel a lot. I drive. He watches. We've logged at least 10,000 miles and he's never once said, Sweetheart, don't you think you should stop and ask someone?

Tuesday, March 08, 2011


On Sunday, Bao was well enough to do lunch at a restaurant -- of course, he can't have little bits of bread and butter (which he loves) because he's still on a strict diet, but he could enjoy the ambience of being out and about. And yesterday (as you can see in the photo) we did Happy Hour at our local wine bar.

Slowly, he's getting his strength back.

Each morning, we walk a little further. I don't want to push him. He's been through so much! But he loves his walks and here in Southern Arizona, this lovely weather will only last for another month or so before it starts getting seriously hot. I'm thinking we should take advantage of it.

Today, we're going to start practicing going up stairs -- just a few steps at a time. I'd like him to build up the muscles in his haunches, so that he can once again jump up on the couch and the bed by himself, the way he's always done. At the moment, I'm having to lift him up and down. And up and down. And up and down.

Never mind -- I'm just incredibly grateful that he's still here with me.

3 Comments:

Blogger Albireo said...

The miracle of modern veterinary medicine! Go Bao, go! Was in Phoenix one time when it was 120 degrees Fahrenheit. Always wondered, if a hot Phoenix sidewalk can fry an egg ... can it burn a doggy's paw pads???

6:11 PM

 
Blogger Mari Meehan said...

Oh, Gail, I've just been catching up. I know what you're going through. Bless Bao's heart - and yours. I wish you both the best in this struggle.

Don't we wish someone would care for us the way we care for our pets as they age!

4:24 PM

 
Blogger Billy Howliday said...

Great ! One step at the time but he is getting there !He looks so much better.

9:28 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home